Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Straight Edge? In my face?

It dawned on me the other day at work that I have no idea what the hell the song "Black horse and The Cherry Tree" is about. I tried as hard as I could to focus on each and every lyric and put some sort of meaning to it. I ended up dropping everything I was carrying and saying "Fucking Cunt" in front of a 4 year old Filipino. It bugged me each time the song came on(about once an hour) and I wracked my brain, trying to wrap my brain around what kind of message this woman with bright red lipstick was getting at.


On the walk home, I had the Ipod on shuffle. From 'Brother's Roast beef' to Dunkin Donuts, Manowar told me about how great they were[Kings of Metal] and while I waited to cross Hancock Street, I learned about the benefits of the AIDS virus from Ethnic Cleansing[Hail AIDS.]


Back at work, I'm lost in a sea of confusion. On my time, the music I listen to is simple. I relate to it. If I'm going to punch you in the face, or drink some beer, or talk about love being a battlefield, you're going to understand it. I don't need to throw out archaic terminology or use complex metaphors to describe my feelings. Sure, I can! I sometimes do even, but it's not really appropriate to launch into prose when the guy selling you cigarettes asks how you're doing, or to baffle him with your prolific take on life.


Perhaps you're a fan of this KT Tunstall broad. I'm not. I'll tell you why even. The song she sings, not that it is awful, but it is. Like most pop songs are. Yes I called it pop, why? It's Popular. Or was. It was on the radio, it was on Mtv. You have no license to artistic integrity when you package yourself for mass media. Put on 60 lbs and then belt out one of those "OOoh OOohs" with your ruby red lips. See how far you get then, baby.


You can read the lyrics to the aforementioned song at the link below. http://http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kttunstall/blackhorsethecherrytree.html



Also, here is a lemur

2 comments:

Fitter Happier said...

you're a man's man. thats why you dont get all poetic and confusing. you leave that up to us girls.

Hans Strongo said...

That's a good way of putting it.